Installing McAfee Anti-virus on Personally-Owned Mac Computers
This document lists the steps to install McAfee Security on a personally-owned Mac computer
- Mac computer with an Intel processor and 1 GB RAM or higher
- Minimum 300 MB of free disk space (500 MB recommended)
- Mac OS 10.5 or higher (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Administrator’s name and password
Help and Known Issues
For known issues, see the KnowledgeBase article in the following URL:
If you have questions, or need technical assistance, the McAfee Service Portal (http://mysupport.mcafee.com) provides a comprehensive, searchable collection of support tools with centralized access to McAfee’s library of technical information and product documentation. If you create an account, you will need to include our grant number. The grant number is 5666336-NAI. Also, McAfee can reached 24 hours a day at 1-800-937-2237.
Steps to Install McAfee Security on Personally-Owned Mac
- Locate the downloaded file, in Safari, and double-click it to begin installation.
NOTE: in Mac OS X Lion and Mountain Lion, you can view Safari’s downloads by clicking the Downloads button, near the top right corner of the Safari window:
- In Mac OSX Snow Leopard, you can view Safari’s downloads by clicking the Window menu and choosing Downloads. In all versions of Safari, you can also see your downloads by pressing the key combination, Cmd Opt L.
- In the new Finder window that appears, double-click the package file.
- Click Continueto run a program to determine if the software can be installed.
- Click Continue in the Welcome to the McAfee Security Installerdialog box.
- Read the Important Information and click Continue.
- Click Continue in the Software License Agreementdialog box.
- Click to Agreeto the terms of the software license agreement.
- Click Install to perform a standard installation of the software.
- In the pop-up dialog box:
- Enter your CampusID and Password.
- Click Login.
- Click Close when installation is complete.