Set Up a Quiz with LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor
This document details how to require Respondus LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor for your quizzes in iCollege.
Respondus LockDown Browser is a potent tool. It is best used in a controlled environment where use can be monitored and issues troubleshooted quickly. However, the LockDown Browser can be installed on personal Windows and Mac machines for quizzes distributed through iCollege and intended for completion outside of a lab.
Respondus Monotor is a tool you can use in tandem with LockDown Browser. Respondus Monitor will use the student’s webcam to record them as they complete their exam.
What your students will need
Using Respondus Lockdown Browser & Monitor
- Log in to iCollege with your CampusID and CampusID password.
- Click the “waffle” icon and select your course. Under the Assessments dropdown, click Quizzes.
- Click the Assessments dropdown and select Quizzes.
- Click the LockDown Browser tab.
- In the message that appears, click Continue.
- Click the dropdown icon to the left of the quiz to which you wish to add LockDown browser and select Modify Settings.
- In the settings menu, check the button for Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam, then click Save and Close.
- Your exam will now include the title Requires Respondus LockDown Browser and will update with “required” in green under the appropriate column.
- When setting up a quiz to require LockDown browser, you can also set the quiz to require Respondus Monitor. After you select Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam, select Require Respondus Monitor for this exam under the Monitor Webcam Settings section.
- In the Respondus Monitor popup message that appears, click the X in the top-right corner.
- Under the Startup Sequence section, select Startup options and the order in which you’d like to have them run. This is the sequence of events Respondus Monitor will require of your students before they can begin the quiz. To customize, select the Checkboxes or, where applicable, click Edit Text.
- Webcam check: ensures your student’s web camera is working properly with Respondus Monitor
- Student Photo: Requires the student take a picture of their student ID
- Show ID: Requires that the student take a picture of another form of ID, such as a Driver’s License
- Environment Check: Requires that the student swivel their camera to capture their surrounding area
- Additional Instructions: If desired, you can include additional instructions for your students
- When you’re finished, click Save and Close.
- Your exam will now include the title Requires Respondus LockDown Browser + Webcam and will update with “required” in green under the appropriate columns.
- You can view recorded sessions of your exam by clicking the dropdown icon to the left of the quiz and selecting Video Review.
If you have have questions, or need technical assistance, please contact the IIT Technology Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 404-413-HELP (404-413-4357).