Chat in Desire2learn
The Chat tool is a real-time, text-based collaboration tool. You can use the Chat tool to brainstorm ideas, hold a question and answer period, have a debate or discussion, or organize a remote study group. There are two types of chat:
- General (or Course) chats are public chats visible to everyone enrolled in the course they are created.
- Personal chats are private and visible only to users who you have added to the chat’s participants list.
- Access and Use Chat
- Create a Chat Room
- Delete a Chat Room
- Add Users to a Chat Room
- Remove Users from a Chat Room
- Access the Chat tool by clicking the Chat icon on your course navigation bar.
- Select the chat you want to join from your list of chats.
- To add a chat message, type a message in the text box at the bottom of the chat room, then press Enter or click Send.
- On the Chat List page, click New Chat.
- On the New Chatpage:
- Enter a Title for the chat.
- Choose the type of chat you want to create
- Enter a Description of the chat
- Click Create
- On the Chat List page, click the Trashcan icon to the right of the chat.
- Click Delete in the confirmation window.
- On the Chat List page, click the View Members icon beside a chat.
- On the Chat Members page, click Add Members to add users from your course, or click Add Personal Contacts.
- In the pop-up window, select the check box beside the name of users you want to add, and click Add.