Using Attendance in Desire2Learn
Creating a New Register
The attendance tool is a great way for Instructors to keep track of student activity and participation in their course by creating specific registers. Here’s how:
- Click on Attendance in the navigation bar.
- This will show a list of your Attendance Registers. To create a new one, click New Register.
- In the Properties section:
- Enter a name and description for your new register
- Select an Attendance Scheme and check the Visibility check box if you want users to be able to view the register
- In the Users section:
- Select the users to be included with the register
- Enter a Name and Description (i.e. Week 1 or September 1). You may choose to add additional sessions as well
- Click Save
Now that you have created your Register and assigned it sessions, you will need to track that attendance. Here’s how:
- Click on Attendance from the navigation bar.
- Click on the desired Register Name from the list.
- This will display a list of student names in a column on the left, and a row of session on the right. Next to each session name, you will see a small icon of a logbook with a pencil. Click the logbook and pencil icon to edit that session.
- Under each attendance session:
- Select either P or A from the dropdown menu under Attendance Status to mark each student as present or absent. Or select Set Status for All from the top of the screen to set the same value for each student
- Click Save when finished